On Monday I announced my Found and Lost geocaching project with no idea how the actual stories would look. The comments and emails I received helped me think about ways I might quickly and cheaply create these chapbooks. I quickly decided that whatever form the stories were to take, they couldn’t be too precious; the production values by nature had to be low and the design had to withstand the elements and hippies’ backpacks.
Brian McGuigan at Hugo House has been tremendously helpful, offering suggestions on how I might introduce the stories to the world. More importantly, he introduced me to Hugo House’s laminator and a program for Mac called Pages. I used Pages to lay out the story, then made copies, cut out the pages, and laminated each page. The “binding” is actually the travel bug tag chain. I bought the travel bugs at REI using my spouse-of-an-employee discount. The result is an inelegant yet sturdy little story designed to withstand a trip around the world.
This morning I made a number (I’m not saying how many) of the first installment in the Found and Lost series, called “Juan.” As I put assembled them I got the same giddy feeling I would get when I was in elementary school binding my little books at my dad’s civil engineering office. There’s something incredibly gratifying about writing, designing, producing, and now distributing one’s own book.
My next step is to find geocaches where I can plant them, then activate the travel bug codes so I can trace their progress online. All of this has been ridiculously fun.